If Rural Post owner-drivers or Posties don’t deliver mail in your area, you may be able to access a free New Zealand Post Community mailbox, for a limited period of time.
To organise a Community mailbox address, visit your local PostShop or call our Customer Service Centre on 0800 501 501 Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
Community mailbox locations
Community mailbox locations (PDF - 12kb)
You will be provided with a key for your Community mailbox, which gives you access at any time.
Community mailbox mail items should be addressed as follows:
Mr A B Jones
If an alternative delivery address becomes available, we may terminate the Community mailbox delivery service by giving you 30 days’ notice.
Terms and conditions
- In these Terms and Conditions, "you" means the PO Box or Private Bag holder(s) named in the Application. "We" means New Zealand Post Limited and our successors, assignees and authorised agents. "Our" and "us" have corresponding meanings.
- If you hold a PO Box or Private Bag with us, these Terms and Conditions will apply. When we refer to the Contract, we are referring to these Terms and Conditions and your Application for PO Box/ Private Bag. Payment of the rental fee for the PO Box or Private Bag is deemed acceptance of the terms of this Contract. Any notice to you under this Contract is sufficiently delivered if delivered to the PO Box or Private Bag. Any notice to us must be delivered to us by email to email@example.com or by post to the Box/Bag Service Centre, New Zealand Post, PO Box 4340, Manawatu Mail Centre, Palmerston North 4442.
- The Contract is for the rental period specified in the Application.
- You must notify us immediately in writing if any of the information specified in the Application changes, for example, changes to your address or phone number or customer category.
- The rental fee for this service is payable in advance, is not refundable and, with our written consent, is able to be transferred to another PO Box or Private Bag holder. The rental fee is set out at PO Box & Private Bags. If we reasonably believe the customer category you have specified is not correct, we may change your customer category and invoice you for the rental fee appropriate to your actual usage, or may terminate the Contract under clause 10.
- We may charge you other fees for this service. These fees are set out at PO Box & Private Bags. We may change the amount of those fees or impose new fees as long as we give you 30 days’ notice in writing.
- For PO Boxes, we will supply you with two keys, which remain our property at all times. All keys must be returned to us if the Contract expires or is terminated, or you must pay us the cost of replacing the lock and keys.
- If the PO Box or Private Bag holder is an individual, only the person who signs the Contract will be recognised by us as the contracting party. Where the PO Box or Private Bag holder is an organisation, only that organisation will be recognised by us as the contracting party.
- Either of us may terminate the Contract at any time by giving 30 days’ notice in writing.
We may also, by giving you notice in writing, terminate the Contract immediately or on the date specified in that notice:
- if we believe on reasonable grounds that the PO Box or Private Bag allocated to you is being used for illegal activities;
- if you don’t pay the rental fee, or any other fee or charge payable under the Contract, by the due date;
- if you don’t comply with any other obligation under the Contract; or
- if there is a dispute as to the entitlement of any person in regard to mail delivered to a PO Box or Private Bag or between joint PO Box or Private Bag holders, and the dispute is not resolved within 30 days of us being given written notice of the dispute.
- If you terminate the Contract under clause 9, all mail addressed to your PO Box or Private Bag that we receive after the date of termination will, unless otherwise agreed, immediately be returned to sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed.
If we terminate the Contract under:
- clause 9, 10b, 10c or 10d, all mail addressed to your PO Box or Private Bag that we receive after the date of termination will, unless otherwise agreed, be held at the local New Zealand Post outlet for 30 days from the date that the Contract is terminated. If you do not collect your mail during this period, we will return it to the sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed; or
- clause 10a, all mail addressed to your PO Box or Private Bag that we receive after the date of termination will, unless otherwise agreed, immediately be returned to the sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed.
If there is a dispute as to:
- the entitlement of any person in regard to mail delivered to a PO Box or Private Bag; or
between joint PO Box or Private Bag holders;
we may refuse to deliver mail to that PO Box or Private Bag until the dispute is resolved. If we terminate the Contract under clause 10d, we will return all mail to the sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed.
- If you want to resume a PO Box or Private Bag service after the Contract has expired or been terminated, you will not necessarily be allocated the same PO Box or Private Bag address, will be required to enter into a new contract, and [if the same PO Box or Private Bag is allocated,] may be charged a fee for the resumption [that allocation].
- We may change any term of the Contract, including relocating the PO Box or Private Bag and changing the frequency of mail delivery, by giving you 30 days’ notice in writing.
- Unless we agree in writing, you must not allow anyone else to use the PO Box or Private Bag allocated to you.
- You must promptly return to us any mail that is not addressed to you.
- You must collect your mail at least once a month. If you do not, we may return uncollected mail to the sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed. If your mail is not collected for three consecutive months, we may cancel this Contract without notice.
- It is your responsibility to check your mail for oversized, unpaid, shortpaid and signature required items. These will be available for you to collect during normal box lobby opening hours. You are responsible for paying any outstanding postage and returning to us the signature required receipts from these items. Signature required items that have not been collected after 30 days, unless specified differently on the item, will be returned to the sender. If we are unable to return the mail to the sender, it may be destroyed.
- If the addressed mail you receive, other than parcels, regularly exceeds the capacity of your PO Box, we may require you to apply for a PO Box with a larger capacity or a Private Bag and to pay us the rental fee that applies to that PO Box or Private Bag.
- If you tell a third party your PO Box or Private Bag address, you must ensure that the address you specify meets our addressing standards set out at how to address mail.
- Information on our liability to you for loss or damage to, or delay in the delivery of, any item is set out in our Public Contract and Postal Users' Guide. These are available for reference at New Zealand Post retail outlets and in the Postal user guide (PDF - 1.65mb).
Quarterly rental periods and quarterly direct debit payment options are only available to customers who were paying by quarterly direct debit as at 1 November 2011. If the rental period for your PO Box is three months:
- you must pay the rental fee for the first three month period in advance prior to the commencement of the Contract. You may make this payment at the PO Box lobby where your PO Box is located, at a PostShop store or at other selected New Zealand Post retail outlets or PO Box lobbies.
- the Contract will be renewed automatically if you pay the rental fee for the subsequent three month rental period by direct debit one month before the expiry of the current rental period. At least 10 days prior to the due date for your first direct debit payment we will provide to you in writing details of the payments you will need to make, a payment schedule, confirmation of your banking details, the completed direct debit authority form, the conditions of authority, and a copy of these terms and conditions.
- payment for subsequent rental periods will be direct debited one month before the expiry of the current rental period.
- if we do not receive the rental fee by the due date because the direct debit you have arranged is dishonoured due to insufficient funds, we will attempt a second direct debit within 7 days. If the direct debit is dishonoured for a second time, you must arrange for the payment to be received by New Zealand Post prior to the end of the rental period, by calling our Billings team on 0800 838 839. If by the end of the rental period we have not received the rental fee, the Contract will be terminated and the PO Box closed in accordance with clause 10(b).
if we do not receive the rental fee by the due date because the direct debit you have arranged is dishonoured for a reason other than insufficient funds, we will advise you in writing that:
- the PO Box will be closed in accordance with clause 10b; and
- If you wish to continue using the PO Box, you must sign a new Contract and pay the annual fee in advance and [if the same PO Box or Private Bag is allocated,] may be charged a fee for the resumption [that allocation].
- we will provide an annual invoice to you if you request one.
PostShop is a trade mark of New Zealand Post Limited.