Packing tips & tricks
Tips and tricks for packing your belongings, for a smooth, hassle free move.
- Pack one room at a time. Remember to label each box as 'moving', 'storage', 'disposal', 'garage sale' or 'giveaway'.
- Complete our handy packing worksheet and stick them onto your boxes. This way you’ll know which room each box came from, what is in each box, and which room it is going to in your new house.
- Check the bottoms of cartons and tape them up if they are sagging.
- Heavier items should be packed towards the bottom of the box and don’t over-pack very large boxes with heavy things.
- Remember to label boxes containing fragile things.
- For electronic items such as stereos and computers make sure the components are cool before packing them.
- Pack your TV in the box it came in. If you don't have the original box, get some dense polystyrene or soft foam blocks from your local computer or TV store, and use a really strong box with a solid bottom.
- Remember to back up all the files on your computer.
- Get a good wide roll of strong tape to seal your boxes. Plan for the worst case scenario of your boxes falling off the trailer or being dropped. Packing tape or gummed tape is better than masking tape.
- Newspaper is great for padding, but ink may come off onto things like clothing, drapes and lamp shades.
- Pillows and cushions can be stuffed in with fragile items such as TVs and stereos.