Changes to our rates and services from 1 July 2019
Postal rate changes will contribute to protecting mail as a valued service for all New Zealanders
We’re making some changes to our products and services so we can continue to provide New Zealand with a viable and future fit mail delivery service.
NZ Post delivers over 400 million mail items a year, but the number of letters sent continues to drop at a significant rate. We’re working hard to keep the cost of posting mail as low as possible, by significantly reducing our network costs and making big changes to how we operate. However, with an annual decline of approximately 60 million mail items through our network, we also need to increase the price of postage.
We are working very hard to ensure that our mail business is fit for the future and to ensure our mail delivery service is not affected.
We want to ensure you have advance notice of changes to our rates and services. These changes will come into effect on 1 July this year.
Please take a look at the information below which outlines the upcoming changes and where to get more information or help with any questions.
The cost of sending a standard letter will change on 1 July 2019.
|Size||Postage (incl GST)|
The following changes to our Bulk Mail products will take effect on 1 July 2019:
- Zonal Pricing will be introduced for VolumePost and GoFlexible;
- Lodgement volume tiers will no longer apply to VolumePost and GoFlexible;
- Evening and Sample pricing by weight in the PrintPost rate card will be removed;
- An Evening Lodgement Fee and Sample Lodgement Fee will be introduced for PrintPost;
- Adcard product specifications will be changed and the minimum lodgement volume reduced from 5,000 to 300;
- Changes to Adcard material and layout (refer to the Domestic Bulk Mail Envelope Layout Standards (PDF - 5.4MB), page 41);
- Physical dimension changes to Bulk Mail product sizing, as follows;
- VolumePost – weight and thickness changes,
- GoFlexible – dimension changes,
- PrintPost – dimension changes,
- Adcard – weight and thickness changes,
- New pricing will be introduced on all Bulk Mail products.
Information on changes to Bulk Mail products will be available in the Postal User Guide from 1 July 2019. In the interim, please refer to the Bulk Mail product specifications and Domestic Bulk Mail Envelope Layout Standards (Adcard) below for more information.
- Domestic Bulk Mail Envelope Layout Standards (PDF - 5.4MB)
- VolumePost product specifications (PDF - 72KB)
- GoFlexible product specifications (PDF - 73KB)
- PrintPost product specifications (PDF - 71KB)
- Adcard product specifications (PDF - 89KB)
There are no changes to Statement of Accuracy tiers.
Bulk Mail Rate Card
New pricing has been introduced for all Bulk Mail products.
Domestic Bulk Mail Rate Card (PDF - 60KB)
Bulk Mail chart
The Bulk Mail chart has been updated with Bulk Mail product changes.
Bulk Mail chart (PDF - 4.0MB)
Envelope Layout Standards
There are important changes to the Domestic Bulk Mail Envelope Layout Standards. These include:
- Changes to Adcard material and layout (which will now be machine processed, effective 1 July 2019);
- Clarification on allowable magnet strengths (GoFlexible only)
- Dimension changes to all Bulk Mail products.
For more information please refer to the Domestic Bulk Mail Envelope Layout Standards (PDF - 5.4MB).
With effect from 1 July 2019, Zonal Pricing will be introduced to VolumePost and GoFlexible.
Zonal Pricing is a pricing structure that charges different prices for mail deliveries to different areas.
Every New Zealand postcode containing delivery points has been allocated to one of four “Zones”; Zone A, Zone B, Zone C and Zone D. Each of these zones has a different price.
These zones will replace the four existing volume tiers for both VolumePost and GoFlexible.
Please note we may apply Zone D pricing to any incorrect or missing postcodes. More information on Zonal Pricing terms and conditions will be available under the VolumePost and GoFlexible Postal User Guide on 1 July 2019. In the interim, please refer to the Bulk Mail product specifications.
Electronic lodging changes
To use VolumePost and GoFlexible from 1 July 2019, there are some changes you need to be aware of to the existing lodgement process for VolumePost and GoFlexible. In particular, you will need to provide a Lodgement Data File to accompany each physical VolumePost and GoFlexible lodgement via Lodgement Manager.
The Lodgement Data File requires the physical addresses of customers receiving mail within the lodgement. No unique or identifiable customer data is required; there are no privacy concerns for your customers.
The Lodgement Data File can be either a Tab or Comma delimited file (CSV) with up to six columns of address with a postcode field and count. An interim layout example of the required Lodgement Data File layout can be found below. Final file layout examples will be available late March 2019.
Once the Lodgement Data File has been uploaded into Lodgement Manager, along with normal lodging information (e.g. product and volume), the price will be calculated for the total lodgement.
The Lodgement Manager Users Guide will be updated prior to 1 May 2019.
Zonal Pricing Lodgement Data File Layout Example (PDF - 277KB)
Zonal Pricing Postcode List and Maps
- Zonal Pricing Postcode List (PDF - 48KB)
- North Island Postcode zones (PDF - 13.0MB)
- North Island – PO Boxes/Private Bags (PDF - 17.4MB)
- South Island Postcode zones (PDF - 9.5MB)
- South Island – PO Boxes/Private Bags (PDF - 9.5MB)
- Auckland Postcode zones (PDF - 2.7MB)
- Auckland – PO Boxes/Private Bags (PDF - 2.7MB)
- Wellington Postcode zones (PDF - 933KB)
- Wellington – PO Boxes/Private Bags (PDF - 935KB)
- Christchurch Postcode zones (PDF - 1.9MB)
- Christchurch – PO Boxes/Private Bags (PDF - 1.9MB)
The Zonal Maps and accompanying postcode list are subject to change, as per the Postal User Guide.
For more information on Bulk Mail Zonal Pricing, please refer to the Postal User Guide under VolumePost and GoFlexible. In the interim, please refer to the Bulk Mail product specifications.
Zonal Pricing rates across VolumePost and GoFlexible can be found on the Domestic Bulk Mail Rate Card below.
Domestic Bulk Mail Rate Card (PDF - 60KB).
Statement of Accuracy
Your Statement of Accuracy (SOA) will not be impacted by Zonal Pricing. SOA will remain as a price differentiator on the Domestic Bulk Mail Rate Card (PDF - 60KB).
All customers are required to comply with New Zealand Post addressing standards and product specifications.
Your statements will provide a breakdown of how many pieces of mail are sent to each zone for every lodgement and the associated price.
For any billing enquiries, please contact your mailhouse or NZ Post Business Manager.