Your redirection options
Apply online at least 4 working days before you want the redirection to start, or 6 if applying at an NZ Post store. We'll send you an email or letter confirming that it’s done.
Frequently asked questions
- Letters and standard mail that are NZ Post mail items only. This doesn’t include mail, such as hospital appointments, that you may receive through other mail providers like DX Mail. Each redirect service must be from one old address to one new address.
- Tracked mail items, but not tracked Courier items.
- Any mail with the same initial/surname as names stated on the redirection form.
We don't redirect:
- Courier items.
- Mail addressed to individuals at commercial and collective addresses (e.g. hotel, motel, house of residence, hostel, hospital, hospice, rest home, public institution, or club).
- Mail that has insufficient information (e.g. mail is addressed to William Smith but the redirection form only lists Bill Smith.) Make sure you include all variations of the names being redirected.
- Mail that cannot be distinguished from other mail addressed to a similar name at the same address (e.g. same surname such as Mr Smith) at the same old address.
- Mail addressed to two or more people if the Redirection form does not include all these names.
- Part of the mail addressed to a PO Box or Private Bag (i.e. all mail must be redirected).
- Mail delivered by local postal operators that are not NZ Post.
- Mail delivered by international operators that are not NZ Post.
- Mail from your overseas address to a New Zealand address. If you have moved to New Zealand from an overseas address, the redirection must be put in place with the postal operator in your country of origin.
- Mail being redirected to an address outside the NZ Post network (eg, a Box operated by another New Zealand postal operator).
- Newspapers and circulars.
When you set up your Redirect my mail service, you have a few options where you can redirect your mail to. Your mail can be redirected to almost anywhere in New Zealand or overseas, on a temporary or permanent basis.
Residential and business addresses
Most redirections are done when you move to a new home or business and you need your mail, which is addressed to your old address, to be delivered to you at your new address. You can check for your new address using our Address and Postcode Finder tool.
If you're moving to a rural address, you'll need to register to become a Rural Delivery customer before we can provide the redirection service. You can do this at your local NZ Post store by completing a Rural Delivery Service Agreement form.
If you've already registered your rural address and are applying for your redirection online, you'll need to complete additional information when selecting your new address as rural.
PO Boxes and Private Bags
You can redirect your mail to a PO Box or Private Bag which can be completed as a usual Redirection online or at your local NZ Post store.
If you want to redirect your mail to both your PO Box and residential address, you'll need to complete a separate application for each redirection service.
We currently do not offer any parcel redirection services to a ParcelPod location. If you need to redirect a parcel to another location, you can do this using our online tracking tool.
Include all name variations in full separately
When setting up a redirection you need to list the names of each person moving, including all of the ways the name can be displayed.
- Separately list the full names of each person that wants their mail redirected.
- Include all name variations, like Bill Smith & William Smith, in full separately.
- Middle initials, like Bill D Smith, are not required.
- List initialled names, like B Smith, in full separately i.e. Bill Smith.
- List joint names, like Bill Smith and Jane Jones, separately.
- Not for Profit organisations (NPO) and Trusts can be entered.
- Business names are not accepted. Business mail redirections must be set up at an NZ Post Store.
How many names you can include in a redirection
You can include up to 12 names if applying online and up to six names on one redirection service application form.
If you wish to add more names to the same redirection service form, put these on a second form and attach it to the first. The rest of the second application must be completed with the same details as the first form or you will be charged for a separate redirection.
If you are receiving some mail from your previous address, the mail redirection order is in place. We find the two most common reasons why not all of your mail may be being redirected are:
We need to know all of the ways your name details can be displayed
Our sorting machines need all of your name details to work properly. For example:
- John Smith
- John W Smith
- JW Smith
- John Smith and Jane Jones
- J Smith and J Jones
- Parents of Fred Smith
Sometimes, it can even be that the sender misspelled your name or used your nickname. All mail addressed differently to the names you have provided will be delivered to your previous address.
Mail is being delivered to your old address by other mail service providers
The redirection order can only redirect mail sent through the New Zealand Post network. There are at least 10 other mail service providers that deliver mail throughout New Zealand, you'll need to set up a redirection order with them as well to ensure that all your mail is received at the new address. The mail service provider's details will be shown on the envelope.
Hint: New Zealand Post stamps will feature our name, our logo or a silver fern on them
If you haven't received mail about a hospital appointment or about government business, then this may be the reason.
For further information, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment maintains a register of all postal operators.
Redirection only covers mail and doesn't include:
- Tracked and courier items addressed to the old address
- Mail addressed to individuals at commercial and collective addresses such as a hotel, motel, house of residence, hostel, hospital, hospice, rest home, public institution, or club
- Part of the mail addressed to a PO Box or Private Bag (i.e. all mail must be redirected)
- Mail delivered by international operators that are not New Zealand Post
- Mail from your overseas address to a New Zealand address
- If you have moved to New Zealand from an overseas address, the redirection must be put in place with the postal operator in your country of origin
- Mail being redirected to an address outside the New Zealand Post network (eg, a Box operated by another New Zealand postal operator)
- Newspapers and circulars.
Apply at an NZ Post store:
- Bring one form of ID, such as a valid New Zealand Driver Licence, New Zealand passport*, Kiwi Access Card (formerly HANZ 18+ Card), Certificate of Identity (issued under the Passport Act) or a New Zealand Firearms Licence.
- Complete a redirection application form available at an NZ Post store.
- You'll need a valid New Zealand Driver licence or New Zealand Passport*.
* For a successful passport verification, all customer details must match including middle name. If they do not match, the customer will need to update their account name to match their passport details.