We know how stressful moving can be. Use our checklist to stay organised throughout the moving process.
Download the Mover's checklist (PDF - 45KB) to help with your move.
3 months before the move
- If you're moving cities, ask your employer what moving expenses they will pay.
- If you have children, check out potential schools and child care services in your new area.
- If you're renting, verbally inform your landlord of your intention to move - check whether your lease is fixed-term or periodic as this will determine whether or not you can give notice.
- Create a list of items that you want to move. If using professional movers, use the list you have created to get a range of quotes from moving companies.
- If you are doing the move yourself, get a range of quotes for moving truck rentals.
2 months before the move
- If temporary storage is required, source it close to your new home.
- Make a decision on truck rental or moving company. Make sure you find out the expected payment method.
- Make an estimate of your total moving costs.
- If you have children, finalise a list of potential schools and child care facilities and obtain enrolment requirements and calendars.
- Start making a list of items that you will not be taking with you and determine what is to happen to them, e.g. throw out, sell, give away.
- Start packing items that aren't used often. Clearly label what is in each box and which room they should be unloaded into in your new home by using a packing worksheet. Make sure you take a copy of all packing worksheets so that you can check everything arrives at your new home.
1 month before the move
- Confirm your moving schedule with the real estate agent or landlord at your new location. Arrange interim accommodation if required.
- If you are renting and have a periodic lease, give your landlord at least 21 days written notice.
- Contact the moving/truck rental company to confirm your move date.
- Call utility and telecommunication companies to arrange disconnection of services at your old address and ensure connection of essential services at your new address.
- Begin separating moving items into their final categories, e.g. 'moving', 'storage', 'disposal', 'giveaway', 'garage sale'.
- Arrange the transfer of your children's school records to their new school.
- If you're moving cities, make your travel bookings/arrangements.
- If you own a pet and are moving cities, get records and medical history, immunisation certificates, etc from your vet. Plan how you will transport your pets to their new location.
3 weeks before the move
- If buying or selling a house, confirm with your lawyer or real estate agent when you will need to sign any necessary documentation.
- Start making a list of people and organisations to notify of your new address and contact details.
- Sell any unwanted items or give them away to charities.
- Move valuables to a safe place. E.g. your safety deposit box.
2 weeks before the move
- Apply to have your mail redirected at your local PostShop. Find out more about redirecting mail.
- If you have a PO Box and/or a safety deposit box, you may want to transfer these to your new location.
- Let your friends and family know your new address and contact details with our 'Change of Address' cards, you can pick up these free postage included cards at any PostShop.
- Use our free online Change service to quickly and easily notify businesses and organisations of your new address and contact details - don't forget to notify banks, insurance providers, newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- If you're moving out of a rental property, arrange a time for the landlord to do a final inspection before the refund of your bond.
1 week before the move
- Plan to use any remaining food in your refrigerator over the last days in your old home.
- Start cleaning the house now as you may not have a lot of time for this on moving day.
- Defrost and clean your fridge/freezer.
- Contact the current owners of the property you will be moving into and ask them to leave any special instructions about the house, e.g. heating, alarm details etc.
- Arrange to have sufficient cash to cover any expenses on moving day.
- Separate the boxes/personal luggage that you need and will move yourself. Remember to carry jewellery and valuable documents yourself, and remove valuables from your safety deposit box.
- Plan for any special needs of children and pets prior to, during and after the move. You may want to organise someone to look after your children and pets while you move.
- Settle any outstanding bills.
- Make sure you've got all the essentials for moving day - food, documents, cleaning supplies, contact phone numbers for the movers etc.
- Make sure you have a copy of all of the packing worksheet (PDF - 23KB) so that you can check whether everything arrives at your new home.
- Reserve parking space for the moving truck.
- Finish any cleaning and remove all rubbish.
- Stay with the moving van driver to oversee everything.
- Call your utility providers with a final meter reading for your electricity/gas, and confirm that essential services will be connected at your new address. Depending on what you have agreed with the new people moving in, you may need to turn off the power and water.
- Do a final tour of your home, double-checking cupboards, drawers, and other storage areas for belongings that may have been left behind.
- Make sure all the doors and windows are locked.
- When you arrive at your new home, take new meter readings for your electricity and gas.
- Check against your packing worksheet (PDF - 23KB) that all boxes and items have arrived.
- If moving into a rental property, take note of any issues/damage to the property that were there when you moved in - make sure you give a copy of this to your landlord so that you don't lose your bond when you move out.
After the move
- As you receive redirected items, use our online 'change of address' cards and ChangeMyAddress to notify people and organisations of your new details.
- Make a list of anything that was lost/broken/damaged during the move and contact your moving company/insurance company.
Download the Mover's checklist (PDF - 45KB) document to help with your move.