PO Box & Private Bags
Why have a PO Box or Private Bag?
Your mail is secure – it doesn’t pile up in your letterbox when you’re away. Keep the same mailing address if you move house in the same area. Many lobbies have 24 hour access so you can pick up your mail when it suits.
Priority lobby or standard lobby?
- Priority PO Box/Private Bag lobbies are available at most of our major mail centres. In a priority lobby, mail to your PO Box will be sorted and ready for collection from 7.30am each day. Mail to Private Bags will be ready from 6am.
- Standard PO Box/Private Bag lobbies are available at over 680 sites nationwide. In a standard lobby, mail to your PO Box or Private Bag will be sorted and ready for collection from 9.00am each day. Contact your local New Zealand Post retail outlet for availability in your area or contact our National Contact Centre.
- Some remote lobbies may deliver at different times.
PO Box notifications
- Register for PO Box notifications to receive email alerts when you have addressed mail items or parcels available for collection at your PO Box. It’s a free service available at selected Box Lobbies.
- See our terms and conditions for this service.
- See a list of box lobbies where the notification service is available.
If you receive fewer than 50 addressed items of mail per day (excluding parcels), then a New Zealand Post PO Box is ideal for you. Large PO Boxes are available in selected locations.
When you apply for your PO Box you will need to select a category to ensure you are charged correctly:
|Domestic box holders||Personal mail only|
|Farmer box holders||For farmers|
|Business box holders||For all other users|
If your usage appears not to comply with the customer category selected, we may change your customer category and invoice you for the rental fee appropriate to your actual usage.
The PO Box rental fee is paid annually in advance.
We offer the following types of mail sorting:
- A 5 day sort means your mail is sorted and delivered to your PO Box each week day.
- A 6 day sort includes Saturdays (excluding public holidays).
Both the 5 and 6 day sort are location dependent.
Domestic and Farmer
|Lobby type||5 day Small||6 day Small||5 day Large||6 day Large|
If you receive more than 50 addressed items of mail per day, then use a New Zealand Post Private Bag. Private Bags are available at selected lobbies. Your mail is sorted and delivered to your Private Bag each week day only (6 day sort options are not available).
The annual fee is paid annually in advance.
|Lobby type||Annual fee|
Courier pick up and delivery
If it's more convenient, CourierPost can arrange to pick up and deliver your PO Box or Private Bag mail to you for an additional fee. Contact the CourierPost Customer Service team on 0800 268 743 to discuss your options.
Moving your PO Box or Private Bag
If you need to transfer your PO Box or Private Bag to another location, please talk to staff at your nearest PostShop.