Hold mail Terms & Conditions
Hold Service details
- Your mail will be held at a New Zealand Post branch for the period specified by you (up to a maximum of 12 weeks in total including extensions).
- Fees apply for this service. More information is available at any PostShop or by contacting our National Contact Centre.
Terms and conditions
- New Zealand Post Limited (“we”, “our” or “us”) offers the Hold Service to individuals and business customers, so mail addressed to your address will be held at a New Zealand Post branch for the period specified by you (up to a maximum of 12 weeks in total including extensions). (“Hold Service”).
- In order to use the Hold Service you will need to sign up to a New Zealand Post account.
- We may change the functionality of the Hold Service, including these terms, at any time by posting changes online. Your continuing use of the Hold Service will mean that you agree to those changes.
Use of the service
New Zealand Post is unable to hold:
- Part of the mail to any address (i.e. all mail to the same address must be held)
- ParcelPost Tracked- and CourierPost items over 3kg
- Mail delivered by other postal operators
- Newspapers and circulars
- Held mail cannot be accessed for the duration of the Hold service term. If you have put a Hold service request online, you are able to amend your Hold service request (extending, reducing and cancelling) online using your Hold service reference number and the email address you provided at purchase. However, if you have put mail on hold at a PostShop and you wish to amend your Hold service, you'll need to go back to a PostShop to action your request. You will be required to provide proof of identification where amendments are made at a PostShop as amendments can only be made by an occupant of the address or an authorised agent of the person who made the original request. Please note that fees will apply to all Hold service extensions.
- Current fees can be found at: https://www.nzpost.co.nz/personal/receiving-mail/hold-mail#fees
You agree that when you access and use the Hold Service you will:
- ensure all details provided as part of your use of the Hold Service are accurate and complete;
- not update details for individuals where you do not have authority to do so.
- comply with these terms;
- comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- comply with our requirements and instructions around correct use of the Hold Service, as set out in the Hold Service website or otherwise notified to you by us from time to time;
- not use the Hold Service in a manner that infringes the rights of anyone else, or that restricts or inhibits their use of the Hold Service;
- only provide information that is true, correct, accurate and not misleading and not use the Hold Service for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose;
- not use the Hold Service in a manner that brings the reputation and brand of New Zealand Post into disrepute;
- not introduce any content or code to the Hold Service or the Hold Service website which is technologically harmful;
- not use a robot, spider, scraper or other unauthorised automated means in relation to the Hold Service or any information featured on the Hold Service for any purpose;
- not use the Hold Service to transmit any communication (other than those communications permitted by the Hold Service).
- New Zealand Post reserves the right to accept, reject or cancel your Hold Service at any time. You will receive an email to confirm that your Hold request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled, if you submitted your Hold request online. If you have put your mail on hold at a PostShop and we have rejected or cancelled your Hold request, we will notify you by phone.
- If you have paid for a Hold service request and cancelled it before it starts, you are eligible for a refund. Please contact our National Contact Centre for further details.
- We will use reasonable care and skill in providing the Hold Service, but to the maximum extent permitted by law, New Zealand Post's liability for any loss or damage however caused in providing this service is limited to refunding the fee (if any) you have paid us for the service.
- Information on the extent of New Zealand Post's liability in relation to the carriage and delivery of postal items is set out in our Public Contract and Postal Users Guide. Copies are available online at www.nzpost.co.nz or at any PostShop.
Expiry or Cancellation
When a Hold Service expires, or is cancelled, we are legally obliged to deliver the mail as it is addressed (i.e. mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to that address).
Your personal information is being collected by New Zealand Post so that we can provide you with our Hold Service and mail delivery services, as well as ask for your feedback on the Hold Service. Your information will also be used for the purposes as set out below, this includes:
- authenticating/verifying your details using third party registers, (ie. the Land Transport New Zealand Licence Register). We will use the NZ Transport Agency database solely to verify your identity, via our third party supplier, using the information you provide from your New Zealand driver licence and will not store your driver licence details. We take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided or the misuse of identity information for the purposes of identity verification through the NZ Transport Agency database. We do not act on behalf of the NZ Transport Agency in the provision of information.
- the administration of the Hold Service and providing our Hold Service to you; and
- improving our Hold Service and user experience, including through undertaking surveys in that regard.
- Where you apply for the Hold Service online via Change, the information collected is stored on a secure server located in Australia.
- We will also disclose personal information as required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993 or otherwise required or permitted by law. If we consider that you have breached these terms or any applicable law we may provide your personal information as we see fit to enable us or any third party to take court proceedings, enforce or apply our terms, or to protect any party’s rights, property or safety.
- We may use and share with third parties aggregated, anonymous information regarding Hold Service usage and trends for data analytics purposes. This information will not be able to be linked back to you.
- If you want to check or correct information that we hold about you, please write to: Customer Service Centre, New Zealand Post, PO Box 2349, Christchurch Mail Centre, Christchurch 8140, or email email@example.com.
- Information transmitted over the internet is inherently insecure. However, we have physical, electronic and managerial processes in place to protect the information we collect through the Hold Service.
- When you use the Hold Service, your details may be provided to our third party supplier for verification purposes, who will retain your details for the purposes of verifying the information provided and for as long as is required for regulatory reasons.
- You agree that you will not use a password that is easily guessed or relates to your easily identifiable personal information. This includes passwords that are comprised of birthdates, telephone numbers and sequential numbers.
- You agree that you will not divulge your password to another person or store your password in electronic or written format.