Redirection Service Terms & Conditions
Redirection Service details
- Each redirection service must be from one old address to one new address.
- Redirection for businesses must be done via a PostShop and cannot be done online.
- The minimum two month fee applies to temporary redirections, which are charged the same as permanent.
- Not-for-profit organisations, Charitable Trusts, Personal and Family Trusts, societies and schools are entitled to the redirection service at the household/individual price, where this can be verified.
Terms and conditions
- New Zealand Post Limited (“we”, “our” or “us”) offers the Redirection Service to individuals and business customers temporarily or permanently moving address, so mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to your new address (“Redirection Service”).
- In order to use the Redirection Service you will need to sign up to a New Zealand Post account.
- We may change the functionality of the Redirection Service, including these terms, at any time by posting changes online. Your continuing use of the Redirection Service will mean that you agree to those changes.
Use of the service
You agree not to use the Redirection Service:
- To redirect the mail of any person or business that has not given you authority to do so; or
- For any fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
- You confirm that you have authority on behalf of the company or the people at the named address to give the acknowledgments in this form and initiate the Redirection Service.
The Service does NOT cover:
- Tracked and Courier items
- Mail addressed to individuals at commercial and collective addresses (e.g. hotel, motel, house of residence, hostel, hospital, hospice, rest home, public institution, or club);
- Mail that has insufficient information (e.g. mail addressed to Mr J Smith when on the Redirection form you have only listed mail to be redirected to Mr John Smith). Make sure you include all variations of the names being redirected;
- Mail that cannot be distinguished from other mail addressed to a similar name at the same address (e.g. same initials and same surname) at the same old address;
- Mail addressed to two or more people if the Redirection form does not include all these names;
- Part of the mail addressed to a PO Box or Private Bag (i.e. all mail must be redirected);
- Mail delivered by local postal operators that are not New Zealand Post;
- Mail delivered by international operators that are not New Zealand Post;
- Mail from your overseas address to a New Zealand address. If you have moved to New Zealand from an overseas address, the redirection must be put in place with the postal operator in your country of origin;
- Mail being redirected to an address outside the New Zealand Post network (eg, a Box operated by another New Zealand postal operator)
- Newspapers and circulars.
- Redirected mail will be sent within New Zealand by Standard Post and all international mail will be sent by International Air.
- If there is a dispute between parties over who is entitled to receive an item of mail, we may refuse to deliver the item until the parties can agree on who is entitled to it. If there is no agreement, we will return the item to the sender.
Service Periods and Fees
- Fees may apply to the Redirection Service. For information on fees, see our redirect mail details, ask at your PostShop or contact our National Contact Centre.
- Non-profit organisations and Charitable Trusts will be charged at the same fees as private customers provided proof of non-profit tax status with the IRD is attached to this application.
- You can request us to redirect your mail for an initial period of 2, 4, 6 or 12 months. Extensions of 2, 4, 6 or 12 month periods are available and fees apply.
- If we deem the volume of mail redirected to be excessive, additional fees may apply.
- A fee may also apply for redirection of mail to a New Zealand Post retail outlet for counter pick-up.
- If you have lodged a Redirection Service request online, you are able to amend your Redirection Service request (extending, reducing and cancelling) online by logging into your account and updating it. If you have lodged a Redirection Service request at a PostShop, you may either amend that service request by using the Application to Amend Redirection form that is available at the PostShop and hand it in (charges apply for all service duration extensions) or link the offline Redirection request to your online account by logging in online and providing your Redirection Service reference number and email address. Once linked, you may then update the Redirection request as required.
- New Zealand Post reserves the right to accept, reject and cancel your Redirection Service at any time. If you have lodged a Redirection Service request online you will receive an email confirmation that your Redirection Service request has been received and a letter to confirm if your request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled. If you have lodged a request at a PostShop, you will receive a confirmation letter to confirm if your request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled.
- If you have paid for a Redirection Service request and cancelled it before it started, you are eligible for a refund. If you have paid for a Redirection Service request, have cancelled it and it has already started, you may be eligible for a refund. In either situation please contact our National Contact Centre for further details.
You agree that when you access and use the Redirection Service you will:
- return any mail not intended for you or other persons listed to New Zealand Post promptly.
- ensure all details provided as part of your use of the Redirection Service are accurate and complete;
- not update details for individuals where you do not have authority to do so.
- comply with these terms;
- comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- comply with our requirements and instructions around correct use of the Redirection Service, as set out in the the Redirection Service website or otherwise notified to you by us from time to time;
- not use the Redirection Service in a manner that infringes the rights of anyone else, or that restricts or inhibits their use of the Redirection Service;
- only provide information that is true, correct, accurate and not misleading and not use the Redirection Service for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose;
- not use the Redirection Service in a manner that brings the reputation and brand of New Zealand Post into disrepute;
- not introduce any content or code to the Redirection Service or the Redirection Service website which is technologically harmful;
- not use a robot, spider, scraper or other unauthorised automated means in relation to the Redirection Service or any information featured on the Redirection Service for any purpose;
- not use the Redirection Service to transmit any communication (other than those communications permitted by the Redirection Service).
- We reserve the right to charge an additional fee or decline your request if your new address is the address of another postal operator, or otherwise requires delivery by another postal operator, and we do not have in place arrangements which we regard as satisfactory with that other postal operator.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law our liability for any loss or damage however caused in providing this Redirection Service is limited to refunding the fee (if any) you have paid us for this Redirection Service.
- Information on the extent of our liability in relation to the carriage and delivery of postal items is set out in our Public Contract and Postal Users’ Guide available at PostShops and at www.nzpost.co.nz.
Expiry or Cancellation
When a Redirection Service expires, or is cancelled, we are legally obliged to deliver the mail as it is addressed (i.e. mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to that address). Where your redirection is permanent, we recommend you tell people and organisations that send you mail of your new address as soon as possible. To tell organisations that you have moved or changed postal address, use our Change service. This is a free service for all consumers.
Your personal information is being collected by New Zealand Post so that we can provide you with our Redirection Service and mail delivery services, as well as ask for your feedback on the Redirection Service. Your information will also be used for the purposes as set out below, this includes:
- authenticating/verifying your details using third party registers, (ie. the Land Transport New Zealand Licence Register). We will use the NZ Transport Agency database solely to verify your identity, via our third party supplier, using the information you provide from your New Zealand driver licence and will not store your driver licence details. We take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided or the misuse of identity information for the purposes of identity verification through the NZ Transport Agency database. We do not act on behalf of the NZ Transport Agency in the provision of information.
- the administration of the Redirection Service and providing our Redirection Service to you; and
- improving our Redirection Service and user experience, including through undertaking surveys in that regard.
- Where you apply for the Redirection Service online via Change, the information collected is stored on a secure server located in Australia.
- We will also disclose personal information as required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993 or otherwise required or permitted by law. If we consider that you have breached these terms or any applicable law we may provide your personal information as we see fit to enable us or any third party to take court proceedings, enforce or apply our terms, or to protect any party’s rights, property or safety.
- We may use and share with third parties aggregated, anonymous information regarding Redirection Service usage and trends for data analytics purposes. This information will not be able to be linked back to you.
- If you want to check or correct information that we hold about you, please write to our Privacy Officer at email@example.com.
- Information transmitted over the internet is inherently insecure. However, we have physical, electronic and managerial processes in place to protect the information we collect through the Redirection Service.
- When you use the Redirection Service, your details may be provided to our third party supplier for verification purposes, who will retain your details for the purposes of verifying the information provided and for as long as is required for regulatory reasons.
- You agree that you will not use a password that is easily guessed or relates to your easily identifiable personal information. This includes passwords that are comprised of birthdates, telephone numbers and sequential numbers.
- You agree that you will not divulge your password to another person or store your password in electronic or written format.
Registrar of Electors
Where you have indicated that the redirection is permanent, New Zealand Post will provide your information, as provided to us, to the Registrar of Electors. This will be used by the Registrar of Electors to update the electoral enrolment details of the people named on the form, including providing enrolment information if you are moving to a different electorate or if you are eligible to enrol but are not currently enrolled as an elector. For further information, including information on how to access and correct your personal information, phone 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56) or write to the Registrar of Electors at the address listed under “New Zealand Post” in the white pages of the telephone book.
Address updates and Your Information
Where you have indicated that the redirection is permanent, New Zealand Post will record the details of your move along with previous addresses in a database for up to five years. This database is also available to New Zealand Post business clients for the purpose of updating the address and contact details of their existing customers. Only if you agree to passing your information onto these organisations, should you tick the box online otherwise we will simply advise business clients that you have changed address without disclosing your new contact details.
Rural Delivery Service
Where you wish to redirect to a Rural Delivery Address, to give effect to your redirection you need to be a Rural Delivery customer and the Rural Delivery Terms and Conditions apply.