Redirection Service details
- Each redirection service must be from one old address to one new address.
- Redirection for businesses must be done via a NZ Post store and cannot be done online.
- The minimum two month fee applies to temporary redirections, which are charged the same as permanent.
- Not-for-profit organisations, Charitable Trusts, Personal and Family Trusts, societies and schools are entitled to the redirection service at the household/individual price, where this can be verified.
Terms and conditions
- NZ Post Limited (“we”, “our” or “us”) offers the Redirection Service to individuals and business customers temporarily or permanently moving address, so mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to your new address (“Redirection Service”).
- In order to use the on line Redirection Service you will need to sign up to a NZ Post account.
- We may change the functionality of our Redirection Service, including these terms, at any time by posting changes online. Your continuing use of the Redirection Service will mean that you agree to those changes.
- Mail redirection does not apply to tracked and courier items including items sent via Economy, Courier and Express parcel sending services.
Use of the service
- You agree not to use the Redirection Service: To redirect the mail of any person or business that has not given you authority to do so; or
- For any fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
- You confirm that you have authority on behalf of the company or the people at the named address to give the acknowledgments in this form and initiate the Redirection Service.
- The Service does NOT cover: Tracked and Courier items
- Mail addressed to individuals at commercial and collective addresses (e.g. hotel, motel, house of residence, hostel, hospital, hospice, rest home, public institution, or club);
- Mail that has insufficient information (e.g. mail addressed to Mr William Smith when on the Redirection form you have only listed mail to be redirected to Mr Bill Smith). Make sure you include all variations of the names being redirected;
- Mail that cannot be distinguished from other mail addressed to a similar name at the same address (e.g. same initials and same surname) at the same old address;
- Mail addressed to two or more people if the Redirection form does not include all these names;
- Part of the mail addressed to a PO Box or Private Bag (i.e. all mail must be redirected);
- Mail delivered by local postal operators that are not NZ Post;
- Mail delivered by international operators that are not NZ Post;
- Mail from your overseas address to a New Zealand address. If you have moved to New Zealand from an overseas address, the redirection must be put in place with the postal operator in your country of origin;
- Mail being redirected to an address outside the NZ Post network leg, a Box operated by another New Zealand postal operator)
- Newspapers and circulars.
- Redirected mail will be sent within New Zealand by Standard Mail and all International items will be sent by International Economy.
- If there is a dispute between parties over who is entitled to receive an item of mail, we may refuse to deliver the item until the parties can agree on who is entitled to it. If there is no agreement, we will return the item to the sender.
Service Periods and Fees
- Fees may apply to the Redirection Service. For information on fees, go to nzpost.co.nz/redirectmymail, or ask at your NZ Post store.
- Non-profit organisations and Charitable Trusts will be charged at the same fees as private customers provided proof of non-profit tax status with the IRD is attached to this application.
- You can request us to redirect your mail for an initial period of 2, 4, 6 or 12 months. Extensions of 2, 4, 6 or 12 month periods are available and fees apply.
- If we deem the volume of mail redirected to be excessive, additional fees may apply.
- A fee may also apply for redirection of mail to a NZ Post store for counter pick-up. Please refer to the Counter Delivery service terms for further information nzpost.co.nz/about-us/who-we-are/terms-conditions/counter-delivery-terms-conditions
- If you have lodged a Redirection Service request at a NZ Post store, you may either amend the service request by using the Redirection you mail change form on page 5, or submit an request online at nzpost.eo.nz/redirectmymail (charges apply for all service duration extensions).
- NZ Post reserves the right to accept, reject and cancel your Redirection Service at any time. If you have lodged a request at a NZ Post store you will receive a confirmation letter to confirm if your request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled.
- If you have paid for a Redirection Service request and cancelled it before it started, you are eligible for a refund. If you have paid for a Redirection Service request, have cancelled it and it has already started, you may be eligible for a refund. In either situation please contact our Customer Care Centre for further details.
You agree that when you access and use the Redirection Service you will:
- return any mail not intended for you or other persons listed to NZ Post promptly.
- ensure all details provided as part of your use of the Redirection Service are accurate and complete;
- not update details for individuals where you do not have authority to do so.
- comply with these terms;
- comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- comply with our requirements and instructions around correct use of the Redirection Service, as notified to you by us from time to time;
- not use the Redirection Service in a manner that infringes the rights of anyone else, or that restricts or inhibits their use of the Redirection Service;
- only provide information that is true, correct, accurate and not misleading and not use the Redirection Service for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose;
- not use the Redirection Service in a manner that brings the reputation and brand of NZ Post into disrepute;
- not introduce any content or code to the Redirection Service or the Redirection Service website which is technologically harmful;
- not use a robot, spider, scraper or other unauthorised automated means in relation to the Redirection Service or any information featured on the Redirection Service for any purpose;
- not use the Redirection Service to transmit any communication (other than those communications permitted by the Redirection Service).
- We reserve the right to charge an additional fee or decline your request if your new address is the address of another postal operator, or otherwise requires delivery by another postal operator, and we do not have in place arrangements which we regard as satisfactory with that other postal operator.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law our liability for any loss or damage however caused in providing this Redirection Service is limited to refunding the fee (if any) you have paid us for this Redirection Service.
- Information on the extent of our liability in relation to the carriage and delivery of postal items is set out in our Public Contract and Postal Users’ Guide available at NZ Post stores and at co.nz.
Expiry or Cancellation
When a Redirection Service expires, or is cancelled, we are legally obliged to deliver the mail as it is addressed (i.e. mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to that address). Where your redirection is permanent, we recommend you tell people and organisations that send you mail of your new address as soon as possible. To tell organisations that you have moved or changed postal address, use our Change service. This is a free service for all consumers.
- Your personal information is being collected by NZ Post so that we can provide you with our Redirection Service and mail delivery services, as well as ask for your feedback on the Redirection Service. Your information will also be used for the purposes as set out below: if applying online, verifying your details using third party registers (eg NZ Passport, NZ Driver’s Licence register). We will use the relevant database solely to verify your identity, via our third party supplier, using the information you provide from your ID and will not store your ID details. We take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided or the misuse of identity information for the purposes of identity verification through the relevant database. We do not act on behalf of our third party supplier in the provision of information.
- The administration of the Redirection Service and providing our Redirection Service to you; and
- Improving our Redirection Service and user experience, including through undertaking surveys in that regard.
- We will also disclose personal information as required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993 or otherwise required or permitted by law. If we consider that you have breached these terms or any applicable law we may provide your personal information as we see fit to enable us or any third party to take court proceedings, enforce or apply our terms, or to protect any party’s rights, property or safety.
- If you want to check or correct information that we hold about you, please write to our Privacy Officer at [email protected]
When you use the Redirection Service, your details may be provided to our third party supplier for verification purposes, who will retain your details for the purposes of verifying the information provided and for as long as is required for regulatory reasons.
Address updates and Your Information
Where you have indicated that the redirection is permanent, NZ Post will record the details of your move along with previous addresses in a database for up to five years. This database is also available to NZ Post business clients for the purpose of updating the address and contact details of their existing customers, but only if you agree to passing your information on to these organisations, by ticking the box. Otherwise, we will simply advise business clients that you have changed address without disclosing your new contact details.
Rural Delivery Service
Where you wish to redirect to a Rural Delivery Address, to give effect to your redirection you need to be a NZ Post rural customer and the Rural Delivery Terms and Conditions apply