The safe and convenient way to receive your mail.
Redirect your mail when you move in New Zealand or overseas.
You can redirect your mail as a household/individual, Senior Citizen or business; you can redirect to an address in New Zealand or overseas, permanently or temporarily.
You can redirect your mail as a household/individual or a Senior Citizen. You can redirect to an address in New Zealand or overseas, permanently or temporarily.
- Setting up your Redirection online
- Setting up your Redirection at your local PostShop
- Redirection service fees
- Redirection service details
To set up your Redirection for a household, individual or Senior Citizen online you need:
- To register or log in to movers services
- Your New Zealand Drivers Licence
- A credit card to pay the redirection service fee.
You need to apply at least three working days before you would like your redirection to start.
To set up your Redirection at your local PostShop you need:
- A completed redirection form available at your local PostShop
- Proof of identity – Passport, New Zealand Drivers Licence, Hospitality 18+ Card, SuperGold Card or Community Services Card.
Apply at least three working days before you want your Redirection to begin.
Redirections set up at your local PostShop can also be amended online.
|Redirection||Up to and including 2 months||4 months||6 months||12 months|
Senior citizen (65 + years)
|Redirection||Up to and including 2 months||4 months||6 months||12 months|
Those aged 65 years or over, who provide evidence of their age (SuperGold card, passport, driver licence) when applying in person will receive the first two months of their domestic redirection service free of charge. If you apply online, the system will register your age from your driver‘s licence authentication.
Any amendments or extensions are charged at the household/individual price; the first two months free of charge only applies to new redirection requests (being the first two months provided for the same old and new address).
- Each redirection service must be from one old address to one new address.
- If you arrange a redirection for a household or individual as well as a business, the business fees will apply.
- The minimum two month fee applies to temporary redirections, which are charged the same as permanent.
- Not-for-profit organisations, Charitable Trusts, Personal and Family Trusts, societies and schools are entitled to the redirection service at the household/individual price, where this can be verified.
Terms and conditions
- New Zealand Post Limited (“we”, “our” or “us”) offers the Redirection service to individuals and business customers temporarily or permanently moving address, so mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to your new address (“Redirection service”).
Use of the service
You agree not to use the Redirection service:
- To redirect the mail of any person or business that has not given you authority to do so; or
- For any fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
The Service does NOT cover:
- Tracked and Courier items
- Mail addressed to individuals at commercial and collective addresses (e.g. hotel, motel, house of residence, hostel, hospital, hospice, rest home, public institution, or club);
- Mail that has insufficient information (e.g. mail addressed to Mr J Smith when on the Redirection form you have only listed mail to be redirected to Mr John Smith). Make sure you include all variations of the names being redirected;
- Mail that cannot be distinguished from other mail addressed to a similar name at the same address (e.g. same initials and same surname) at the same old address;
- Mail addressed to two or more people if the Redirection form does not include all these names;
- Part of the mail addressed to a PO Box or Private Bag (i.e. all mail must be redirected);
- Mail delivered by local postal operators that are not New Zealand Post;
- Mail delivered by international operators that are not New Zealand Post;
- Mail from your overseas address to a New Zealand address. If you have moved to New Zealand from an overseas address, the redirection must be put in place with the postal operator in your country of origin;
- Mail being redirected to an address outside the New Zealand Post network (eg, a Box operated by another New Zealand postal operator)
- Newspapers and circulars.
- Redirected mail will be sent within New Zealand by Standard Post and all international mail will be sent by International Air.
- If there is a dispute between parties over who is entitled to receive an item of mail, we may refuse to deliver the item until the parties can agree on who is entitled to it. If there is no agreement, we will return the item to the sender.
Service Periods and Fees
- Fees may apply to the Redirection service. For information on fees, see our redirect mail details, ask at your PostShop or contact our Customer Service Centre.
- Non-profit organisations and Charitable Trusts will be charged at the same fees as private customers provided proof of non-profit tax status with the IRD is attached to this application.
- You can request us to redirect your mail for an initial period of 2, 4, 6 or 12 months. Extensions of 2, 4, 6 or 12 month periods are available and fees apply.
- If we deem the volume of mail redirected to be excessive, additional fees may apply.
- A fee may also apply for redirection of mail to a New Zealand Post retail outlet for counter pick-up.
- If you have lodged a Redirection service request online, you are able to amend your Redirection service request (extending, reducing and cancelling) online using your registered user name and password. If you have lodged a Redirection service request at a PostShop, you can either amend that service request by using the Application to Amend Redirection form that is available at the PostShop and hand it in (charges apply for all service duration extensions) or you can use the online service using “Find your Redirection” function and by entering the Redirection service number.
- New Zealand Post reserves the right to accept, reject and cancel your Redirection service at any time. If you have lodged a Redirection service request online you will receive an email confirmation that your Redirection service request has been received and a letter to confirm if your request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled. If you have lodged a request at a PostShop, you will receive a confirmation letter to confirm if your request has been accepted, rejected or cancelled.
- If you have paid for a Redirection service request and cancelled it before it started, you are eligible for a refund. If you have paid for a Redirection service request, have cancelled it and it has already started, you may be eligible for a refund. In either situation please contact our Customer Service Centre for further details.
- We reserve the right to charge an additional fee or decline your request if your new address is the address of another postal operator, or otherwise requires delivery by another postal operator, and we do not have in place arrangements which we regard as satisfactory with that other postal operator.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law our liability for any loss or damage however caused in providing this Redirection service is limited to refunding the fee (if any) you have paid us for this Redirection service.
- Information on the extent of our liability in relation to the carriage and delivery of postal items is set out in our Public Contract and Postal Users’ Guide available at PostShops and at www.nzpost.co.nz.
- New Zealand Post will use the NZ Transport Agency database solely to authenticate your identity using the information you provide from your New Zealand Driver Licence and will not store your Driver Licence details if you are redirecting your mail using the online service. New Zealand Post takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided or the misuse of identity information for the purposes of identity authentication through the NZ Transport Agency database. New Zealand Post does not act on behalf of Land Transport NZ in the provision of information and NZ Transport Agency takes no responsibility for New Zealand Post’s conduct or actions in the provision of such information.
- New Zealand Post will use your credit card details only for the purpose of payment for the online Redirection service transaction and will not store your credit card details.
- We will hold your other details and information securely.
Expiry or Cancellation
- When a Redirection service expires, or is cancelled, we are legally obliged to deliver the mail as it is addressed (i.e. mail addressed to your old address will be delivered to that address). We recommend you tell people and organisations that send you mail of your new address as soon as possible. To tell organisations that you have moved or changed postal address, use www.changemyaddress.co.nz. This is a free service for all consumers. Free change of address cards are also available at your PostShop. To cancel or extend your Redirection, ask for an Application to Amend Redirection.
- Your personal information is being collected by New Zealand Post Limited so that we can provide you with our Redirection service and mail delivery services, as well as ask for your feedback on the Redirection service and provide you with information about our other products and services. Your information will also be used for the purposes as set out below.
- Other than as set out in these Terms and Conditions, or where required by law, your personal information will not be disclosed to third parties. You can access and correct your personal information by writing to the Address Accuracy Team, New Zealand Post, Private Bag 39990, Wellington Mail Centre, Lower Hutt 5045.
Registrar of Electors
- We will provide your information as stated on your completed Redirection service form to the Registrar of Electors This will be used by the Registrar of Electors to update the electoral enrolment details of the people named on the form, including providing enrolment information if you are moving to a different electorate or if you are eligible to enrol but are not currently enrolled as an elector. For further information, including information on how to access and correct your personal information, phone 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56) or write to the Registrar of Electors at the address listed under “New Zealand Post” in the white pages of the telephone book.
Address updates and Household Lists
- Where you have indicated that the redirection is permanent, New Zealand Post Limited will record the details of your move along with previous addresses in a database for up to five years. This database is also supplied to New Zealand Post business clients for the purpose of updating the address and contact details of their existing customers. If you do not want this information passed on to these organisations you should tick the box in Section 4 of the Redirection application form and we will simply advise that you have changed address without disclosing your new contact details.
New Zealand Post maintains a list of names and addresses (including private addresses) of individuals who have used our Redirection service or who are named in the form and who have not opted out of being included in the list. This list is sometimes made available to New Zealand government agencies and companies and other organisations from New Zealand and overseas who:
- wish to communicate with you, including for the purpose of providing you with information about products and services; and/or
- wish to update their customers’ address and contact details.
- If you do not want the names and addresses of the people named on this form to be included in this list, simply tick the box in Section 4 of the Redirection application form. Your mail will still be redirected.